On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 01:49:54AM +0100, waben...@gmail.com wrote
> waltd...@waltdnes.org wrote:
>
> >   This happens when I try to "Save As" from Gnumeric or Gimp or
> > AbiWord. I select a directory and try to navigate into it by left
> > clicking on the folder icon.  Nothing happens.  If I madly left-click
> > away on it for 15 or 20 seconds, the folder finally opens up.  There
> > has got to be an easier way.  Note: I'm running ICEWM, not GNOME.
> > Gnumeric/Gimp/Abiword are GNOME apps that I'd happily get rid of, if
> > the alternatives weren't worse.
>
> I never had this problem with Gimp or any other gtk2 based program.
>
> I'm using XFCE and have no Gnome installed. Works perfect. Many years
> ago I used Gimp with KDE3. Also without problems.
>
> Never used Gnumeric or Abiword. I'm using Libreoffice instead.
>
> I don't know what kind of work you do with Gimp. So I can't give you
> a recommendation for a replacement. What I can say is that you will
> not find a program for Linux with the same features as Gimp. But
> depending on what you wanna do you will maybe find some other tool
> that will meet your demands.
>
> Btw: I don't think that Gimp is a Gnome app. It just has some
> dependencies that also Gnome has, but it can be installed and used
> without Gnome.

  GTK+, the base of GNOME, first started out as "Gimp ToolKit".  That's
where the acronym "GTK" came from.  So yes, GIMP is a GNOME app.  I also
run AbiWord and Gnumeric without full-blown-GNOME.  What's maddening is
that Gnumeric seems to be pulling in more and more GNOME dependancies.
E.g.  it used to be able to build without Goffice libs or Ghostscript or
dbus.  I have some large spreadsheets that kill LibreOffice or
OpenOffice merely importing the spreadsheet, so no option.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>