Phill MV wrote:

Well, *something* is trying to access a function that doesnt exist in NDB; whether we know what it does or why, I'm guessing it's a behaviour that shouldn't happen :P.

I suppose whatever tries to access NDB has a bug in it... but what would that be?

Do you have lvm installed (/sbin/lvm)?

If so, the Gentoo startup script /sbin/rc will try to execute it after starting udev to probe for physical volumes, volume groups, and logical volumes. The default configuration of lvm probes _all_ block devices, so this is a probable suspect. You can try adding a filter to /etc/lvm/lvm.conf in this case, like so:

   filter = [ "r|/dev/nbd.*|" ]

As for whether it should or shouldn't happen, I am not sure. I don't know how common it is to use network block devices...it is definitely a high-end feature. I would guess that anyone using nbd would also be interested in using lvm, so it is probably more useful to have lvm probe these devices if they exist.

-Richard