On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 14:48:39 -0400 (EDT)
"A. Khattri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Rumen Yotov wrote:
>
> > Note: my portage directory is in /var not /usr
>
> Why?

Hi,
Nothing special, just it seemed more logical to me ;).
To leave /usr only for apps/libs etc.
That's maybe not 100% truth cause i use (in another partiton) a
hardened setup. So think it's easier to manage permissions/access-rights
(MAC-model) if at least /portage isn't in /usr.
Till now never used this config though.
/var is IMHO more appropriate for resources.
PS: another one - glad i use separate /boot as it serves me to hold
now two,later three different kernels (gentoo-sources,RSBAC,Xen-to go).
Rumen