On Wednesday 02 March 2016 15:33:27 James wrote:
> Peter Humphrey <peter <at> prh.myzen.co.uk> writes:
> > It's approaching time to invest in a new system, and I'd like the
> > panel's views on which make of graphics card to choose: AMD, nVidia or
> > Radeon. Does anyone here have an opinion to offer?
>
> Perhaps you can define some more parameters as to your budget constraints,
> power limitations on the main power supply and exactly
> what is your target use of the video (gpu+memory) resources?

Budget seems unlikely to influence choice of graphics card maker. The three I
mentioned are all offered by my preferred system builder, Armari. I don't
know what you mean about limits to power. You snipped the application area,
which as I said is scientific computing using GPUs as well as the CPU.

> Noise (dB) restrictions? Air or water cooled? hardware (slot)
> availability?

I'm just interested in the comparative performance of the three makes of GPU
at this stage. I can fill in the rest of the spec once I know which to go for
- unless one make is ruled out by excessively noisy coolers or something.

Not just the computing power, though: Gentoo support will be important over
the life of the system. If the life of this current box is any guide, that
could stretch to 10 years. Well, maybe.

> New mobo or an upgrade to an existing mobo?

It'll be a new system, as I said.

> Dual windows booting for windows gaming? etc etc.....

I'm not interested in Windows or gaming. Certainly not the kind of rapid-fire
games that spotty youths seem to go for.

--
Rgds
Peter