Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > I can't really read the stupid unformatted du output but it looks like I
> > have 30 gb of bloat in some 3,600 files in my distfiles directory. is
> > there any sane way to prune out some of the older versions, I am in no
> > mood to spend all day hand-pruning these and the nuclear option is not
> > too friendly to the portage servers that I want to respect.
> > nuclear = rm * ->  emerge --fetchonly --emptytree system

is that haskell pseudo_code?? :: (null_grin)

> > Powers are not rights.

Might makes Right, if you are a history buff....

> eclean-dist?

'eclean-dist -d -t1m -s50M -f'   was very popular [1]

Some old cli hacks, when the manual itch just needs a good scratching::

by size::
find /usr/portage/distfiles/* -size +50000 -print -exec rm {} \;

by age::
find /var/tmp/portage/* -mtime +120 -print -exec rm {} \;

hth,
James

[1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Knowledge_Base:Remove_obsoleted_distfiles