On Tue, 22 Mar 2016 00:10:12 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:

> >> Anyone who boots directly to X'doze without first going through a
> >> safe console login is a raging mad lunatic who needs his head
> >> examined.
>
> > After all, it's not as though it falls back to a console if X fails to
> > load - as it does with monotonous regularity every eight years or
> > so.
>
> Except X failing to load and falling back toa console never seems to
> the failure mode I'd run into.  It's more like X starts up and the
> keyboard and mouse don't work, so I've got to go dig out my laptop
> (which was hopefully not left at the office) boot it up and then ssh
> into the temporarily headless machine and kill X.

It's that long since I've had X fail to start (probably because I don't
use binary drivers) that I can't really remember, but I don't recall
every having to do this.

Even so, having to look for something else to SSH in with, when my phone
is always in my pocket, every 8 years would use far less time that that
I've saved over the years - but I'd try Alt-SysReq-R before hunting for
an SSH client.

--
Neil Bothwick

Znqr lbh ybbx!