On 03/28/2016 02:09 AM, Philip Webb wrote:
Since I set up the system in my new machine in Oct 2015 ,
the 3D modules in Xscreensaver (now 5.34) have refused to run ;
the rest of Xscreensaver is working as advertised.

I did drop Perl support, but that seems to be related to I/net use
& shows no sign of relating to 3D rendering.

I have the 'opengl' flag enabled, have 'eselect-opengl' set to Nvidia
& have 'qtopengl-4.8.6-r1' installed (also the virtual),
tho' that is needed for Kdelibs with no sign of screensaving.

Has anyone else run into this problem ?  Does anyone have any advice ?

Is the screensaver package your having problems with called "x11-misc/rss-glx"?

Do you have the USE flag "opencl" set in your "make.conf" / or on a "package.use", or not used at all? ( Check eselect setting as well. )

Do you have the USE flag "xscreensaver" set in your "make.conf" / or on a "package.use", or not used at all?

Do you have the USE flag "vaapi" OR "vdpau" set in your "make.conf" / or on a "package.use", or not used at all?

Do you have the VIDEO_CARDS flag "nivida" set in your "make.conf" / or not used at all? ( emerge @module-rebuild ? )

More info would be helpful in diagnosis.

I am using Nvidia driver 340.96.
I have the USE flags "xscreensaver / opencl / opengl / vaapi" in "make.conf", and VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia" in "make.conf".
The eselect opencl / opengl is set to nvidia.

The "x11-misc/rss-glx" screensavers work just fine. I like the "GLMatrix" one.