»Q« <boxcars <at> gmx.net> writes:

> tl;dr:  Getting rid of USE="-*" was a lot easier than I'd expected.  A
> little rebuilding, a lot of (easy) USE flag pruning, and I'm done.

> Until yesterday, I've had USE="-*" for years.

I've only used (USE="-*") for small systems like firewalls, devices,
or other minimized servers. If you think about it, most of us,
on a workstation, what everything that will work. The exception being
somebody with meager resources or other minimizations that warrant constraint.

> Most of the time spent was actually looking at USE flag descriptions,
> which continue to suck.

I don't mind this so much, as when flags become deprecated and there
is no notification, or a tool, to ferret out such dead-flags....

Enjoyed reading your confessions....

James