On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 04:08:40PM +0000, James wrote
> »Q« <boxcars <at> gmx.net> writes:
>

> > tl;dr:  Getting rid of USE="-*" was a lot easier than I'd expected.  A
> > little rebuilding, a lot of (easy) USE flag pruning, and I'm done.
>
> > Until yesterday, I've had USE="-*" for years.
>
> I've only used (USE="-*") for small systems like firewalls, devices,
> or other minimized servers. If you think about it, most of us,
> on a workstation, what everything that will work. The exception being
> somebody with meager resources or other minimizations that warrant constraint.

  I used to use USE='-* blah blah blah", where "blah blah blah" was a
lot of flags.  My rule of thumb was to compare...

* how many "foobar" entries I'd have to make in package.use if I didn't
  include "foobar" in make.conf, versus...
* how many "-foobar" entries I'd have to make in package.use if I did
  include "foobar" in make.conf

  Which ever way resulted in fewer entries in package.use was the way
I'd go.  I effectively built my own custom profile.  I've now switched
to the conventional style, without "-*", but I now have a lot of
"-foobar" flags in USE, like so...

USE="10bit 12bit X apng bindist ffmpeg gles2 jpeg netifrc png snappy szip
truetype x264 x265 xorg -acl -berkdb -caps -chatzilla -cracklib -crypt
-filecaps -gallium -gdbm -gmp-autoupdate -graphite -gstreamer -iconv
-introspection -ipc -iptables -ipv6 -libav -llvm -manpager -nls -openmp -pam
-pch -roaming -sendmail -spell -tcpd -udev -udisks -unicode -upower -uuid
-xinerama"

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>