On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 08:33:01AM -0500, Corbin wrote

> Questions ... if you will permit :
>
> Are you saying that in "make.conf" you set INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" and did
> a test compile run?
> The emerge you tried ... was it "xorg-base/xorg-x11"?
> Or did you try a meta package for a desktop?

  xorg-server, intending to add ICEWM later.

> If a hard dependency link between Xorg server -> xf86-input-keyboard
> exists, this will never work. I have no idea at this point if this is
> true. What I have been reading suggests that the xf86-input keyboard and
> mouse libs are being phased out.
>
> With that call ?error? ... Xorg may be an impossible goal / waste of
> time on uClibc.

  I tried INPUT_DEVICES="evdev mouse keyboard", which probably caused
the problem.  With INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" and VIDEO_CARDS="vesa fbdev",
things build OK.  Whether they'll work, I don't know, but at least it
builds.  ICEWM appears to be building too.  Actually, ICEWM has a
"(uclibc)" USE flag which is automatically hard-invoked or hard-masked
depending on whether or not the system uses uclibc.

  James points to https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Hardened_uClibc
which mentions "Lilblue"...

> Continued developments in uClibc have made it increasingly suitable
> for systems like Lilblue, our security-enhanced, fully featured
> XFCE4 desktop, amd64 system built on uClibc.

  WHEEEEEEEEEE!  IT WOIKS!  Whilst I was typing away, the ICEWM and
xterm builds finished.  I've brought up the basic ICEWM window with 4
work areas.  The fixes to my problem were...

INPUT_DEVICES="evdev"
VIDEO_CARDS="vesa fbdev"
enable "udev" flag in make.conf (actually it runs on eudev, but...)

  I've never used "evdev" before, so I was not familiar with how to set
it up.  It's a bit disappointing, because evdev *DEMANDS* udev, so I can
forget about switching in busybox's mdev for udev.

  BTW, I stumbled over "1 weird little tip" on the internet, to make
debugging easier for many bootup problems, not just uclibc.  Add the
"--noclear" option to the first console in /etc/inittab.  With this
option, the initial login prompt does *NOT* clear away late bootup
output, including useful error messages...

# TERMINALS
c1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty --noclear 38400 tty1 linux
c2:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty2 linux
c3:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty3 linux
c4:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty4 linux
c5:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty5 linux
c6:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty6 linux

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>