On Wednesday 27 Apr 2016 10:03:58 Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 Apr 2016 19:54:09 Gregory Woodbury wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 5:40 AM, Peter Humphrey <pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk>
> >
> > wrote:
> > > Has anyone here succeeded in getting this BOINC project to run? No
> > > matter
> > > what I try, I get "task postponed 86400.000000 sec: Communication with
> > > VM
> > > Hypervisor failed."
> >
> > Is the "user" boinc runs as in the vboxusers" group?
> > By default, boinc runs as a non-root (daemon?) user and if its group is
> > not in the vboxusers group,
> > VirtualBox will not start or run for the user.
> >
> > The recommended workaround is to run boinc as a real user (generally
> > "you") so that things operate properly.  Additionally, the actual way
> > that the cernvm runs can change "just a bit" and it will upset the
> > balance of getting VBox to run boinc tasks.
>
> Thanks for the reply. Yes, boinc is running as me, as shown below, and I
> am in the vboxusers group. Boinc is also in that group. All the files and
> directories under ~/boinc and ~/.VirtualBox are owned prh:prh. But I've
> just noticed that the files under ~/.VirtualBox are all 0600; I wonder if
> that's thet problem: that the boinc user can't read them. But then boinc
> is running as me, the owner of all the files involved.
>
> I'm going round in circles again.
>
> $ ps U prh
>   710 ?        SNsl   4:10 /usr/bin/boinc_client --daemon --dir
> /home/prh/boinc --redirectio 880 ?        Sl    22:23 /usr/bin/boincmgr
> [...]
> 19613 ?        RN   372:47
> ../../projects/www.cosmologyathome.org/camb_2.16_i686-pc-linux-gnu
> params.ini [...]
> 24897 ?        SNl    0:08
> ../../projects/pogs.theskynet.org_pogs/wrapper_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu_4.02
> [...]
> 28001 ?        RN     7:17 ./fit_sed 10 filters.dat observations.dat
> [...]

The fix has already been done, silently - no outward evidence other than the
dates on a couple of files. I only found out when I compared a new
installation with what I'd backed up a few hours earlier.

The problem was that /etc/init.d/boinc was starting the client with an su
command, but now a start-stop-daemon call has been substituted. Job done. I
can now move on to the next problem.  :)

--
Rgds
Peter