On Sat, 14 May 2016 18:23:10 +0200, hw wrote:

> >> Using 'chmod -R g+w $#' isn't very appealing, and how safely does it
> >> handle file names?
> >
> > What is unappealing about it? I've never had any problem with file
> > names, but I don't use odd ones. You could quote the $@/$# just in
> > case, although if there's no shell expansion taking place it
> > shouldn't be necessary.
>
> Using 'chmod -R' is unappealing because changing access rights for
> so-many-thousand or so directory-entries once per minute might

Why would you be running it every minute?

> wear out the SSDs sooner than otherwise.  It might make things
> worse that the file system is that of a KVM VM residing in a sparse
> file on these SSDs.
>
> And it may lead to confusion of the users when they suddenly can
> write to files they couldn't write to a few seconds before.

Chmod is run when files are created or modified, and only on those files.
There is no timing involved, except for the fraction of a second it takes
for incrond to receive and act upon the inotify message.

--
Neil Bothwick

Politics: Poli (many) - tics (blood sucking parasites)