On Sun, May 22, 2016 at 04:41:44AM +0000, J. Roeleveld wrote

> Quick reply (longer one later)
> 2nd run looks better.
>
> The output is from the supplied scripts. For Gentoo, use the
> /etc/init.d script. That will call the other one where necessary.
>
> About the codepage. What does "eselect locale list" show?
> In other words, which locale do you actually use?

  en_US.iso88591

[i3][waltdnes][~] eselect locale list
Available targets for the LANG variable:
  [1]   C
  [2]   POSIX
  [3]   en_US
  [4]   en_US.iso88591 *
  [5]   en_US.utf8
  [ ]   (free form)

  I expect to be storing a lot of numeric data in postgresql, but not
much text data, let alone, non-English text data.  I live in Toronto,
Canada.  ISO8859-1 can handle ASCII (English), and accented Latin-1
characters that exist in Canadian French.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>