On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 4:53 PM, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 28 May 2016 21:54:09 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>
> > thanks a lot. My eyes are bleeding.
>
> Serves you right for being daft enough to read it again!
>
> I'd suggest that Alan RTFM for the commands he uses, but that would be a
> waste of keystrokes.

I have to agree with ng0

WOW!

Alan just wants to start it and walk away, as if Gentoo was a binary
distribution
that handles it all upstream.  He doesn't want to take the time to review
what
emerge is proposing and see if changes are needed first.

Hey Alan: Gentoo is NOT a start an update and walk away setup. Some human
mind needs to be involved if troubles arise.  Also, read make.conf(5) and
set up
the various variables correctly; PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET should only have
one python version set.

Furthermore, the current portage doesn't require the revdep-rebuild step
because
of the @preserved-rebuild set creation.

In any case, to try and force things through without looking at what
problems are occuring
is just (excuse my language) batshit crazy stupid.

I use my update generator script so make the emerge command(s) just so
I can preview the packages and modify the sequences or leave out some
updates
if i need/want to do so. (E.g. I may want to defer a chromium or
libreoffice update
to after other updates are done and/or set them to occur with a lower
niceness or
an ionice idle class.)

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury