On 29/05/2016 20:46, Mick wrote:
> On Sunday 29 May 2016 16:58:29 Mick wrote:

>>> I believe this is due to latest Konqueror being KDE4-based and latest
>>> Dolphin (and therefore dolphinpart) being KF5-based. As a workaround,
>>> try downgrading Dolphin to 4.14.3-r1.

>>> Try System Settings -> Input Devices -> Mouse -> Single-click to open
>>> files and folders.
>>
>> Thank you Michael, I already had this setting enabled.  Clicking on the
>> arrow at the left of the directory expands the contents of the tree, but to
>> get into it, to descend into that level on the filesystem, you have to
>> double click on the directory itself.
>>
>> Similarly, files do not open unless I double-click on them.  :-/
>
> I've noticed that 'emerge --depclean' removed kde-apps/kdebase-kioslaves and
> revdep-rebuild didn't bring anything else in (yet).  Could this be why
> konqueror-dolphin integration is borked?

You might have a point there. I have kde-apps/kdebase-kioslaves
installed here and my konqueror works as you want your's to. My deps for
that package:

# equery depends kde-apps/kdebase-kioslaves
 * These packages depend on kde-apps/kdebase-kioslaves:
kde-apps/mplayerthumbs-15.12.3
(>=kde-apps/kdebase-kioslaves-4.14.3:4[aqua=])
media-gfx/digikam-4.14.0-r1 (kde-apps/kdebase-kioslaves:4)
media-sound/amarok-2.8.90-r2 (>=kde-apps/kdebase-kioslaves-4.4:4[aqua=])

and I have these konquesror/dolphin packages installed:

kde-apps/konqueror
kde-apps/konq-plugins
kde-apps/libkonq
kde-apps/dolphin