walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 29 May 2016 12:33:55 +0200
> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > There's been another thread a week ago which mentioned a
> > > sys-devel/make-4.2 bug and the recommendation was to emerge perl
> > > with MAKEOPTS=-j1.  Did you try this?
> >
> > It's not perl failing to build, it's portage claiming it can't find a
> > clean upgrade path to offer. The merge doesn't start as the dep graph
> > resolution never completes, so MAKEOPTS isn't even in the picture yet.
>
> I found that --with-bdeps=y fixed some problems.

I use the with-bdeps=y all the time and had nho real problems emerging
5.24.  It rebuilt about 200 packages and portage detected most of the
mess, but perlcleaner detected about 40 more and one I had to remove,
but it went pretty well for portage.  It seems to have gotten more
intelligent last few months, slow as heck, but I would rather use its
time than mine.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici