Max R.D. Parmer <maxp <at> trystero.is> writes:

> > Which file contains the purported malaised default configration?
> > I just want to manually inspect it and verify for myself.

> /etc/pam.d/system-auth which is provided by pambase:
> https://gitweb.gentoo.org/proj/pambase.git/

Huh. I looked at that and concluded it could not possibly be the problem.

I went a bit deeper at coreOS and found that they are using

pambase-20101024 from 2010. Double_huh. I had heard they were behind
on updating may ebuilds, but that is ridiculous.  Here are the details
should anyone be interested::

https://github.com/coreos/coreos-overlay/commit/
048faeb3b1b1a693dec3bdb47b127b8d71c48c13

I (previously) had high regards for CoreOS, but not keeping things current
is usually the largest source of problems and sploits, imho.

thx,
James