On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 4:11 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't see the part where all these latest fancy container thingymagicies
> are not really just "embed everything in everything"
>
> We've known for years the dangers of embedding stuff in packages (it hardly
> ever gets updated properly)

Well, that strikes me as being true of these self-contained packages,
but it isn't necessarily true of containers in general.

I run most of my services in containers, and they're just Gentoo
installations with a really small world file.  Things are just as
up-to-date as they would be if I ran it all in a single host.

Now, if you're the sort of person who just grabs some random docker
image from who knows where, then sure you're getting a big bundle of
stuff that may or may not be maintained for security.  This is no
different.

I'm sure there will be people who provide these all-in-one packages
and carefully update them for upstream security flaws.  And there will
be a lot more providers who don't.

Chromium is a good example of this.  Gentoo tries to unbundle as much
as it can, but if you just do a make install on it you end up with a
bazillion bundled libraries.  Google does a very good job of keeping
them all up to date, but they're not a typical case.

FWIW - the subject of this thread suggests that this is some kind of
"official" Gentoo thing.  As far as I can tell somebody took it upon
themselves to make this available for Gentoo, but it is not in any way
endorsed by the distro.  Of course, if somebody wanted to package it
up and maintain it we probably wouldn't have any issues with having
the package manager in the repository.  After all have other binary
distro package managers in there.  That doesn't mean that Gentoo is
doing anything to ensure that whatever random repository you point it
at is up to date, any more than if you emerge debootstrap.

Oh, and while I generally agree with everything in the linked
Maintainers Matter blog post, I'd hardly call it a security audit.  It
just points out in general terms the sorts of problems that this kind
of approach can lead to.

--
Rich