Jonathan Wright schrieb:
> Alexander Skwar wrote:
>>>A good option for more speed would be to use aespipe to encrypt
>>>/dev/zero and write that output to the disk.
>>
>> Why do that? Overwritten data is already pretty much
>> irrecoverable. Or do you know of ONE instance, where
>> those rescue companies restored an OVERWRITTEN (ie.
>> not something simple as burned or such) drive?
>>
>> And if you fear, that the CIA or FBI might recover
>> data - use a metal shredder...
>
> Actually, even if you format a hard drive, it's still relatively easy to
>   get the data off.

Well, but that's only so, because a format normally doesn't
rewrite the whole device but only some "header".

> I can't remember the name of the program to do it,

I bet it's based on "Secure Deletion of Data from Magnetic and
Solid-State Memory" by Peter Gutmann (see
<http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/secure_del.html>).

> but if you want to
> securely erase a hard drive according to NSA/CIA/FBI standards,

There's no such thing. Those agencies recommend to incinerate
harddrives containing sensitive data.

> it needs
> 37 passes using RANDOM data!

No, it doesn't. That used to be true *AGES* ago with RLL/MFM drives,
but no more with current drives.

Nowadays, thanks to the improved reliability of harddrives, a
simple overwrite with 0's is good enough. Back in May 2003,
the german computermagazine c't send drives to ontrack, vogon
and ibas with overwritten files. In *no* cases those companies
could recover data. Even if data was just overwritten with 0!
Those companies are only sucessful, when recovering data from
burned or otherwise physically destroyed/inaccessible drives.

Or do you have *PROVE* that those companies actually CAN
recover overwritten data? I would *REALLY* be interested!

Alexander Skwar