On 13/07/2016 21:13, James wrote:
Jeremi Piotrowski <jeremi.piotrowski <at> gmail.com> writes:

Has anyone attempted to install a self hosted gitlab  on gentoo server(s)?

I would deploy it with docker. The gitlab guys push official images of the
main gitlab app[1] and CI runners[2] to dockerhub. That should be
the easiest path to getting it up and running in no time.

Docker runs everywhere, including Mesos clusters.

That being said, gitlab does not really play well with clustering in
general. I don't think the main part of the app does any kind of
horizontal scaling (gitlab.com is hosted on a single server) so you need a
fairly beefy server.

That's weird. Almost every type of heavy load is finding it's way to
clusters now; many via containers some on bare metal clusters. Granted, very
often a custom, scheduler/framework has to be modified or custom developed,
but I find it hard to believe there is no way to massively speed up
something like gitlab  on a robust linux cluster. That dragon has been
sleighed for most all load problems, be it HPC, networking issues, or
security audits, etc etc. Often, a cloud/cluster software can be radically
sped up by allocating lots of extra ram to the framework it is running on.
Cloud vendors charge way to much for extra ram, so performance of
ram-intensive services are often run where there is ample ram.

Depends. It might all be running on a single-threaded ruby process in the middleware :-)

Don't laugh, I've seen stranger things.

Alan