On Sat, 2005-10-01 at 13:54 -0700, maxim wexler wrote:

> --- Greg Yasko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Greg Yasko <gyasko <at> cox.net> writes:
> >

> > > Login as root and do a "mkdir -p
> > /usr/local/portage/app-cdr/dekagen"
> > >
> > > Then cd to the dekagen directory you just created.
> > >

> > Copy the ebuild, which is at gentoo bugzilla under
> > app-cdr/dekagen to your
> > dekagen directory.
> >
> > > Run "ebuild dekagen-1.0.2.ebuild digest" in the
> > dekagen directory.
> > >
> > > Add "app-cdr/dekagen ~x86" to
> > /etc/portage/package.keywords
> > >
> > > Finally, do an "emerge dekagen" and it should
> > work.
>
> Yow!
>
> dayglo ~ # emerge -pv dekagen
>
> These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
>
> Calculating dependencies ...done!
> [ebuild  N    ] sys-apps/eject-2.0.13-r1  +nls 58 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] media-sound/bladeenc-0.94.2-r1  139 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] x11-libs/openmotif-2.2.3-r3  5,029 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] media-libs/flac-1.1.1  +sse +xmms
> 1,432 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] media-sound/xmcd-3.3.2  +alsa +encode
> +vorbis 1,599 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] app-cdr/dekagen-1.0.2  0 kB
>
> Total size of downloads: 8,259 kB
>
> Somebody said bloat? Why do I need all this stuff when
> it works out of the box simply by running the script?

because the ebuild has dragged in every optional dependency of dekagen
including  stuff that isn't actually needed to run it.

dekagen is a console package, but appears to optionally use xmcd which
requires openmotif.

As for the others, well you will have seen from the dekagen docs (and
from running the program) that you can choose rippers and encoders, and
that there are therefore a whole lot of optional dependencies. You can
run it without all of those options installed, you just don't get to use
the ones you don't have (you obviously need a minimum of one ripper and
one encoder for it to do its thing).

for example dekagen can use any of the following to rip cd's: cdda2wav,
cdparanoia, dagrab, or tosha. If you have just one of them installed it
will work. If you want the option of trying them all as backends, you
can install them all (although I am not sure that they are all in
portage).

Same with encoding, you can use any of 8hz-mp3, bladeenc, l3enc, lame,
mp3enc, or notlame, or oggenc.

The docs also say:
You might also wish to install:
"3. xmcd,
4. id3ed, id3tag, id3tool, or mp3info."

I think the ebuild that has been written is dragging them all in whether
you want them or not. The ebuild author admits it is his first ebuild
and that he just copied another one. No criticism to him, but feel free
to fix it :-)

It'll probably end up with a whole lot of use flags, so you can control
it's dependencies. Seems incredible overkill for a 34k shell script.