On Sunday 02 October 2005 15:58, Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 08:12:56AM +0100, Dave S wrote
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a PIII 700Mhz, 256MB RAM, Finances are somewhat tight (read
> > that as very tight) but I could do with some more speed when playing
> > with python scripts + KDE can be a tad sluggish.
>
>   Running a fat bloated resource-hogging "desktop" like GNOME or KDE
> means that you're wasting a lot of system resources on Windows-like
> eye-candy.  Before spending any money, try switching to a lightweight WM
> (Window Manager) like "blackbox".  If you want a "control panel" use the
> "fbpanel" app.  You have to set things up manually, but things run a lot
> quicker.  Note; you can run KDE and GNOME *APPLICATIONS* without running
> a GNOME or KDE *DESKTOP*.
>
>   I run applications, not desktops.

some people like the fat,. bloated, eye-candy heavy desktops - especially full
experience of all components working together.

Not all people choose kde/gnome because of their looks, but because they WANT
a complete desktop environment.

btw - some time ago I let glxgears run on several wm - and it was the fastest
on kwin and integrity (both qt based) and slower on gtk-based wm...