Yesterday, I went from kde-plasma/plasma-desktop-5.5.5-r1 to -5.6.5,
after which I am not seeing nearly as many icons as I used to.  A lot
of other KDE packages were upgraded as well, and I don't know where to
start with troubleshooting.

In Dolphin, I no longer see icons for flac or mp3 files, just blank
space where an icon should be.  I haven't checked other file types.

I have a panel with several Quicklaunch widgets.  There, I see icons
for many of the launchers, but not others -- I just see blank space
where they should be.  Clicking the blank space does launch the
program.  Normally, the dialog brought up by 'edit launcher' shows the
icon for its .desktop file and lets me click on the icon to change it.
Now, the dialog does show the icon, but it's not clickable so it's not
editable.