On Sunday, July 31, 2016 03:37:55 PM Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for my backups I use a 3TB USB drive (one big ext4 partition) without any
> problems. Just plug in the cable, mount it and perform the backup. The
> partition (sdi1) is detected an mountable without any problems:
>
> =============== %< ==============
> $ ls -l /dev/disk/by-id
> total 0

<snipped bunch of 'ls' statements

> =============== %< ==============
>
> However, when I boot a rescue system from a USB stick, the partition on the
> USB is not detected. I already tried latest SystemRescueCD (default and
> alternate kernel), Knoppix and the Gentoo Admin CD. Nothing, the partition
> is not available.
>
> What's the difference? Why does my kernel find this partition and the other
> one's do not? It's pretty silly to have a backup drive and cannot access it
> in question ;-)

Which kernel do you boot?
The systerescue-cd has 4 kernels:
2 * 64bit and 2 * 32bit.

By default, it boots the "default" one for the architecture you are booting.
Have you tried booting the "alternate" kernel?

I have 1 system that I need to boot using the "alternate" kernel as the
"default" one is too old. (Yes, by default it boots an old kernel)

It could easily be that the kernel you are using does not support your USB3
adapter or something else you used.

Eg. apart from all the 'ls' statements, also check "uname" and
"/proc/config.gz" for differences.

--
Joost