On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 4:58 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
<volkerar...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> the journal does not add any data integrity benefits at all. It just
> makes it more likely that the fs is in a sane state if there is a crash.
> Likely. Not a guarantee. Your data? No one cares.

That depends on the mode of operation.  In journal=data I believe
everything gets written twice, which should make it fairly immune to
most forms of corruption.

f2fs would also have this benefit.  Data is not overwritten in-place
in a log-based filesystem; they're essentially journaled by their
design (actually, they're basically what you get if you ditch the
regular part of the filesystem and keep nothing but the journal).

> If you want an fs that cares about your data: zfs.

I won't argue that the COW filesystems have better data security
features.  It will be nice when they're stable in the main kernel.

--
Rich