> On 01/09/2016 08:04, gevisz wrote:
>> I have bought an external 5TB Western Digital hard drive
>> that I am going to use mainly for backing up some files
>> in my home directory and carrying a very big files, for
>> example a virtual machine image file, from one computer
>> to another. This hard drive is preformatted with NTFS.
>> Now, I am going to format it with ext4 which probably
>> will take a lot of time taking into account that it is
>> going to be done via USB connection. So, before formatting
>> this hard drive I would like to know if it is still
>> advisable to partition big hard drives into smaller
>> logical ones.
>
> it will take about 5 seconds to partition it.
> And a few more to mkfs it.

Just to partition - may be, but I very much doubt
that it will take seconds to create a full-fledged
ext4 file system on these 5TB via USB2 connention.

Even more: my aquiantance from the Window world
that recomended me this disc scared me that it may
take days...

> Are you sure you aren't thinking of mkfs with ext2
> (which did take hours for a drive that size?
>

>> For about 20 last years, following an advice of my older
>> colleague, I always partitioned all my hard drives into
>> the smaller logical ones and do very well know all
>> disadvantages of doing so. :)
>
> So you are following 20 year-old advice for hardware relevant to 20
> years ago and not taking tech advances into account ? :-)

Yes. But, please, take into account that after these 20 years
I decided to reconsider the old "rule of thumb." :)

>> But what are disadvantages of not partitioning a big
>> hard drive into smaller logical ones?
>
> You only get 1 mount point
> Some ancient software might whinge and complain about not having a
> partition table present.
> The drive vendor no longer has a place to put their magic sekrit
> phone-home data collection stuff. Oh wait, that's a benefit and belongs
> below
>

>> Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive
>> into smaller logical ones and why?
>
> The only reason to partition a drive is to get 2 or more
> smaller ones that differ somehow (size, inode ratio, mount options, etc)
>
> Go with no partition table by all means, but if you one day find you
> need one, you will have to copy all your data off, repartition, and copy
> your data back. If you are certain that will not happen (eg you will
> rather buy a second drive) then by all means dispense with partitions.
>
> They are after all nothing more than a Microsoft invention from the 80s
> so people could install UCSD Pascal next to MS-DOS

I definitely will not need more than one mount point for this hard drive
but I do remember some arguments that partitioning a large hard drive
into smaller logical ones gives me more safety in case a file system
suddenly will get corrupted because in this case I will loose my data
only on one of the logical partitions and not on the whole drive.

Is this argument still valid nowadays?