>> > It does not, because it has not loaded the kernel yet, so it cannot do
>> > anything on the system.
>>
>> Oh, poor little Grand Unified Boot Loader!
>>
>> It cannot do anything! Even to read fstab by its grub-mkconfig script!
>
> We were talking about GRUB the bootloader, not grub-mkconfig the Linux
> program to write grub.cfg. As you were asking whether you should run
> grub-mkconfig again, it seems reasonable to assume that you haven't run
> it since adding the disk, not that it should make a difference.
>
>> P.S. I usually run grub-mkconfig when kernel is already loaded!
>>       And in my fstab all the disks are refered by UUID!
>>

> grub-mkconfig doesn't care about the fstab of the running distro since it
> scans your drives for all operating systems it can boot.
>
> Either look in grub.cfg to see what it going on or post it here along
> with the exact error messages so others may try for you.

I have added the following line to the /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="root=UUID=44***"

run

# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

and got in  the following entry

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
menuentry 'Gentoo GNU/Linux' --class gentoo --class gnu-linux --class
gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-simple-44***' {
    load_video
    insmod gzio
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set root='hd1,msdos3'
    if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
      search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd1,msdos3
--hint-efi=hd1,msdos3 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,msdos3
--hint='hd1,msdos3'  44***
    else
      search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 44***
    fi
    echo    'Loading Linux 4.4.6-gentoo ...'
    linux    /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.6-gentoo root=/dev/sdb3 ro
}

wich, in my view, does not differ a lot from what was before.

The 44*** denotes the UUID of my boot partition.

Will try it tomorrow and report.