On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 19:53:10 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:

> I got around the problem by using :
>
>   emerge --backtrack=30 -pvtD perl perl-Archive-Tar perl-Carp
> perl-Compress-Raw-Zlib perl-CPAN-Meta-Requirements perl-Data-Dumper
> perl-ExtUtils-CBuilder perl-ExtUtils-Install perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker
> perl-ExtUtils-Manifest perl-ExtUtils-ParseXS perl-File-Spec
> perl-Getopt-Long perl-IO perl-Locale-Maketext perl-Perl-OSType
> perl-Scalar-List-Utils perl-Test-Harness perl-Text-ParseWords

I'm surprised you needed to jump through such hoops, I updated 2 stable
systems to perl 5.22 last week and emerge @world took care of all
blockers, although I did need to run perl-cleaner afterwards.

> It wants to remerge Exiftool Imagemagick Cups-filters Graphite2
> & also some further Perl pkgs & it wants to downgrade (G)Vim.
> That much wb ok, but it also wants to update Poppler & therefore LO
> & I don't feel like doing the last at the moment ( 65 min  last time).
>
> What you suggested is fairly standard & I've done it in the past,
> but thanks for prompting me.  Thanks to the other respondents too.
>
> Perl can stay where it is till LO 5.2 arrives in Portage :
> in fact, isn't it a bit slow appearing ?

5.2.1.2 has been in testing for a couple of days, but it appears that
5.1.4.2 is the only ebuild in stable, so that may be the reason for your
downgrade.

--
Neil Bothwick

You know it's cold when you spot a lawyer with his hands in his own
pockets.