I just bought the prettiest desktop there ever was and I'm having
trouble with the install.  I'm quite comfortable with a BIOS setup, but
UEFI is still making my brain hurt and Windows 10 co-existing on the
machine isn't helping.

Basically, I can't find where to tell Grub and everything else to look
for boot stuff.  On my laptop (Surface Pro), the machine came
partitioned (by Windows 8) to have an "EFI system partition".  So the
output of `parted` on my laptop looks like this:

Number  Start   End     Size    File system
Name                          Flags
 1      1049kB  379MB   377MB   ntfs         Basic data
partition          hidden, diag
 2      379MB   588MB   210MB   fat32        EFI system
partition          boot, esp
 3      588MB   722MB   134MB                Microsoft reserved
partition  msftres
 4      722MB   53.2GB  52.4GB               Basic data
partition          msftdata
 5      53.2GB  256GB   203GB   ext4
 6      256GB   256GB   16.1MB

However, my new desktop came pre-installed with Windows 10 and there's
no EFI system partition on either of the drives:

# parted /dev/nvme0n1
GNU Parted 3.2
Using /dev/nvme0n1
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) print
Model: Unknown (unknown)
Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 512GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End    Size   Type     File system  Flags
 1      1049kB  106MB  105MB  primary  ntfs         boot
 2      106MB   354GB  354GB  primary  ntfs
 4      354GB   512GB  157GB  primary  ext4
 3      512GB   512GB  524MB  primary  ntfs         diag

# parted /dev/sda
GNU Parted 3.2
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) print
Model: ATA WDC WD4002FFWX-6 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 4001GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End     Size    File system
Name                          Flags
 1      17.4kB  134MB   134MB                Microsoft reserved
partition  msftres
 2      135MB   4001GB  4001GB  ext4         Basic data
partition          msftdata

Note that all I did to the partitioning scheme above was:

* Shrink partition #3 on the first disk and create a new one in the
vaccuum (ext4) for Gentoo
* Delete partition #2 on the second disk (it was empty ntfs) and replace
it with one big ext4.

So what do I tell grub and the kernel to use for boot information?  The
handbook mentioned that there were differences between gpt and msdos
partition setups, but the machine came this way, setup with msdos on the
first disk and I'd rather not blow away all 300GB of Windows on a
hunch.  Do any of you have experience with this?  Some guidance here
would be super.