Harry Putnam <rea...@newsguy.com> writes:

> I installed gentoo in a vbox vm as guest.
>
> It boots successfully but is mounted write protected.
>
> I didn't see anything in dmesg that I recognized as pointing to the
> problem.
>
> Thought it might be a timing issue during boot processes and so tried
> to remount rw with `mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda3 /' with the message
> that it cannot since it is write protected.
>
> Suspected some doltishness on my part in /etc/fstab, but if so I could
> not see it.  Cannot run sshd since it requires writing the keys etc so
> sshd will not start.

Please disredgard this query... a little more persistence in googling
and I hit a post from 2009 that explained it.

It was a kernel config shortcoming on my part: CONFIG_LBDAF was left
unset.

I think I may have even run across something about that when perusing
the handbook install section but when I got there during
`make menuconfig'  All I can say is the way that section reads about

   --*-- enable block layer --*--
      [*] Support for Large (2tb+) block devices and files

kind of makes you think its something you don't need. But then
thinking again... with todays massive drives......