Hi all,
        I have upgraded my old core2 to an i7 on a x58 gigabyte MB.  Lots
faster .... but I am still using my older nvidia card (GF119 [GeForce GT
610] Nouveau driver), storage and original gentoo install.

The problem is that I have two monitors - a 1920x1080 on DVI and a
1280x1050 on vga.  On boot up until logging into the xfce desktop, the
1280x1050 resolution dominates.  I have changed the boot through to end
of the initrd level using grub, and I can overide the X Windowes desktop
using xrandr.

Whats left after logging in is an invisible bounding box of 1280x1050 on
the desktop that I cant move icons out of, and the console on the
1920x1080 monitor is a 1280x1050 window on the 1920x1080 sized screen :(

The strange thing is that this all worked perfectly on the old hardware
(basicly just a motherboard/memory/powersupply swap with the same
videocard and gentoo system)

Is anyone able to offer suggestions?

BillK