On Friday, December 30, 2016 10:21:28 AM Mick wrote:
> On Friday 30 Dec 2016 08:18:48 J. Roeleveld wrote:

> > > Makes me drool a bit here.  I want a 8 core CPU.  The only downside,
> > > gkrellm won't have enough screen to show each core separately.  That's a
> > > problem there.  lol  It already takes up the whole right side on one
> > > desktop.  I guess I could make the thing shorter to fit them all in.
> >
> > I know what you mean. What I miss is an option to have gkrellm on 1 side
> > of
> > the screen and when I maximize a window, that doesn't hide gkrellm.
> > I limited some of the sensors to be able to fit all 12 virtual cores.
> > (Or if there is, where do I set it)
>
> This can be managed via the DE settings (but it depends on the DE options of
> course).  You can also set it in GKrellM configuration, General, 'Set on
> top of other windows of the same type'.

I don't want it on top, I want it to prevent maximizing from taking the area
used by gkrellm.

> +1 for more and faster memory.  If the choice comes down to either more, or
> faster memory, go for faster.  With normal desktop use I have not yet
> noticed 16G being exhausted.  I dedicate 8G for tmpfs which is used for
> emerge activities.  I suggest you go for the fastest spec memory your MoBo
> will run. You'll likely have to overclock it to make your memory clock
> higher speeds. As a rule I prefer Asus MoBos, if only because online
> reviews when I built the last PC showed fewer complains that Gigabyte.

Take into account that with Asus boards, the sensors don't always work
correctly with Linux. Not sure about Gigabyte.

> > > Same here.  Putting portage's work directory on tmpfs does make it
> > > measurably faster.  Bad thing is, if Firefox and LibreO needs to update
> > > at the same time, I have to go back to spinning rust or do them by
> > > themselves.  It runs out of memory pretty fast.
>
> I have not noticed this here with 8G our of my 16G RipjawsX RAM dedicated to
> portage, but unlike Dale I do not run a full Plasma DE and try to update
> Chromium, FF, & LO all in parallel at the same time!  ;-)

I do the same on my laptop, with 16GB. That also works. But this laptop dates
back to when I considered 16GB sufficient.

> With regards to PSUs most reputable manufacturers bring out entry level
> models which use cheap(er) capacitors with inferior rating, middle of the
> road which use upgraded caps and top of the range which are as good as it
> gets.
>
> On the last box I built I chose a Corsair CX430M PSU and have been very
> pleased with it (so far).  Running a UPS also helps your PSU last longer,
> especially if you live in an area where brown outs happen regularly.

I used to live in such an area. Not currently. But a UPS would still be a good
idea.

--
Joost