"taii...@gmx.com" <taii...@gmx.com> writes:

> On 12/30/2016 08:39 AM, lee wrote:
>
>> the...@sys-concept.com writes:
>>
>>> I'm putting a new system, it will be running mainly, VirtualBox,
> [...]
>> If you want a rock solid machine with lots of cores and RAM and very
>> capable of powering VMs, the HP Z800 is worthwhile to check out.
> [...]
>>
> You can build a system with a (new) KGPE-D16, two used 6276 processors
> and used 64gb ecc ram for only around $500 which will net you a 32
> core computer that can run blob free no microcode coreboot that
> supports max 256GB RDIMM RAM.

Including an excellent 850W power supply, a good case, SAS RAID
controller and a graphics card?

The 6276 is a more power hungry than a Xeon and runs at only 2.3GHz
(though I don't know how that compares to the Xeon).  Power consumption
is an issue for me because electricity is way too expensive here.

Asus doesn't seem to say anything about coreboot?

> There is another coreboot compatible (theoretically, but not tested)
> QP max 1TB (jesus christ) RDIMM RAM G34 motherboard, so you could have
> 64 cores for only $20 or so per 16 cores. (plus the $30 for a cpu
> cooler)

It's good to have so many options to choose from :)  Considering all
this, is there a good reason to go for an FX-8350?