Hi - have re-compiled as indicated, but it hasn't helped.  Now running
2.6.12-gentoo-r10 without problems, but still have the previous error on
*some* ebuilds i.e. svgalib & lm_sensors.

As established earlier correct links are all in place, the correct .config is
in the source, directory, as is Makefile - and /include/linux/verion.h
exists.

I have googled extensively, including gentoo forums, where similar errors have
been produced, but nothing suggested solved my problem.  Most were related to
non-existent .config and/or Makefile.

Following is the error message:
<snip>
!!! ERROR: media-libs/svgalib-1.9.21-r1 failed.
!!! Function linux-info_pkg_setup, Line 526, Exitcode 1
!!! Unable to calculate Linux Kernel version
<snip>

When I look at Line 526 in /usr/portage/eclass/linux-info.eclass I find the
following:

<snip>
525    linux-info_pkg_setup() {
526    get_version || die "Unable to calculate Linux Kernel version"
527    [ -n "${CONFIG_CHECK}" ] && check_extra_config;
<snip>

>From here on in - I'm struggling with bash and can't make sense of it:  any
pointers would be appreciated.

Bogo

--
Sent via KMail 1.8.1, & o/s Linux-2.6.12-gentoo-r10