I finally grasped the nettle and did the Plasma 5 upgrade. The first machine
went OK eventually (apart from the week spent resolving blockers), so I
thought the second would be much smoother. And so it was, until I logged on. I
got the splash screen, a bouncing ball as something started and then a black
screen relieved only by a cursor and a couple of apps in the autostart list.
kwin-x11, plasmashell, ksmserver are all running, it seems like something got
omitted in the install. Does anyone know which binary starts the window
manager and taskbar, etc? I did the usual things like create a new user,
rename .kde4, to no avail.

I have already posted on the Gentoo forums but didn't get much help. You can
see the post with the sddm log here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1057060.html. Hopefully the vast
intellects of the Gentoo list will have an
idea! My current workaround is to install lxqt as the desktop; it works pretty
well, if a bit rough around the edges.

Cheers
Robin
Robin Atwood.