On 01/07/17 16:31, Urs Schütz wrote:
On 01/07/17 13:24, Mick wrote:
On Saturday 07 Jan 2017 17:12:25 Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 4:59 PM, Helmut Jarausch <jarau...@skynet.be>
wrote:
On 01/07/17 15:52:20, Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 4:30 PM, Helmut Jarausch <jarau...@skynet.be>

wrote:
Hi,

hopefully some can help me.

cat /etc/locale.gen

gives

en_US ISO-8859-1
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
C.UTF-8
de_DE.UTF-8 UTF-8
de_DE ISO-8859-1
de_DE@euro ISO-8859-15

but

locale-gen  gives errors

 * Generating locale-archive: forcing # of jobs to 1
 * Generating 5 locales (this might take a while) with 1 jobs
 *  (1/5) Generating C.UTF-8 ...

character map file `de_DE' not found: No such file or directory
cannot open locale definition file `C': No such file or directory
[
!! ]

 *  (2/5) Generating de_DE.ISO-8859-1 ...

character map file `de_DE.UTF-8' not found: No such file or directory
cannot open locale definition file `ISO-8859-1': No such file or
directo
[
!! ]

 *  (3/5) Generating de_DE.UTF-8 ...

character map file `de_DE@euro' not found: No such file or directory
cannot open locale definition file `UTF-8': No such file or directory
[
!! ]

 *  (4/5) Generating de_DE.ISO-8859-15@euro ...

character map file `en_US' not found: No such file or directory
cannot open locale definition file `ISO-8859-15': No such file or
direct
[
!! ]

 * Bad entry in locale.gen: 'UTF-8 '; skipping
 *  (5/5) Generating en_US.ISO-8859-1 ...

character map file `en_US.UTF-8' not found: No such file or directory
cannot open locale definition file `ISO-8859-1': No such file or
directo
[
!! ]

 * Generation complete

I've even rebuild glibc (2.24)

/usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED  contains the lines

de_DE.UTF-8 UTF-8
de_DE ISO-8859-1
de_DE@euro ISO-8859-15
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
en_US ISO-8859-1

Many thanks for a hint,
Helmut

What's the full contents of your /etc/locale.gen?

There are only comments above these lines.

Thanks,
Helmut

The reason I asked for the full contents of your /etc/locale.gen is
because users have been known to accidentally make typos when editing
the file in question.

Also, what's the output of 'locale -a' and 'localedef --list-archive'?

There is an incorrect entry in the file.  For example this line:

C.UTF-8

The locale name C. is not listed in /usr/share/i18n/locales/ on my
system.

However, the remaining entries appear to be correct according to the
contents
of /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED.  So I am not sure what's gone wrong.

C.UTF-8 does not work this way. If you delete the C.UTF-8 line it works.
You will have a C locale and a POSIX locale even without specifying them
in /etc/locale.gen.

Let me know if you find a way to produce a locale named "C.UTF-8" on
Gentoo.  I would be interested in it, as it seems that newest darktable
from git needs this to compile correctly.

You can generate a "fake" C.UTF-8 locale with localedef:
# localedef -i en_US -f UTF-8 C.UTF-8
and remove it when no longer needed:
# localedef --delete-from-archive C.utf8
Don't blame me for ugly side effects...

Urs