On Wed, Feb 08 2017, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:

> On 02/08/2017 07:42 PM, allan gottlieb wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 08 2017, allan gottlieb wrote:
>>
>>> Our old Linksys wireless router is starting to hang more frequently.  It
>>> always comes back by cycling the power, but it is probably time to
>>> upgrade.
>>>
>>> I am looking at the Linksys EA6900 AC1900 Samar Wi-Fi dual-band router.
>>> It is wireless-AC so will be big speed improvement over our wireless G.
>>>
>>> We have mundane usage (laptops and cell phones) and a simple connection
>>> to the internet via a optimum/cablevision modem.
>>>
>>> Am I correct in believing that I should be able to simply plug it in and
>>> it will "just work".  I run gentoo exclusively on my laptops and my wife
>>> runs some modern Windows on hers.  Cell phones are android and ios.
>>>
>>> Advanced security is not needed.
>>>
>>> thanks in advance,
>>> allan
>>
>> I hadn't realized the model I quoted is the refurbished version.
>> I will be buying the new version.
>>
>>  Linksys AC1900 Wi-Fi Wireless Dual-Band+ Router with Gigabit & USB 3.0
>>  Ports, (EA6900)
>>
>> sorry for the confusion.
>> allan
>
> Does it support DD-WRT?
> I always replace rotor's  firmware with DD-WRT or other open source one.
>
> --
> Thelma

Apparently not (from the DD-WRT site).

We have vanilla usage and no serious security issues.  I am hoping I can
just plug it in, connect some ethernet jacks, perhaps answer some
questions, and find that both the hardwired and wireless devices can
reach each other as well as our cable modem and hence the internet.

allan