I am perplexed why box of mine will not logrotate system logs, which have now
grown into gigs.  kern.log, syslog, messages, etc. are eating up space
unconstrained, to the point where the partition run out of it.

Trying to run /etc/cron.daily/logrotate from a terminal does not show anything
in messages, or syslog.

Particulars below:

# ls -la /etc/cron.daily/logrotate
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 179 Feb 12 16:09 /etc/cron.daily/logrotate

# cat /etc/cron.daily/logrotate
#!/bin/sh

/usr/bin/logrotate /etc/logrotate.conf
EXITVALUE=$?
if [ $EXITVALUE != 0 ]; then
    /usr/bin/logger -t logrotate "ALERT exited abnormally with [$EXITVALUE]"
fi
exit 0

This is an installation I have not really changed much from default settings.
Comparing with other systems which work as expected I can't see anything
amiss. How could I troubleshoot/fix this problem?

--
Regards,
Mick