Not about Tails, this message, but yes it is about GUI-less (non-dbus)
virt-manager.

About its use for installing and running a Tails' relative: Whonix.

I made a well-accepted, I believe, push for Whonix to be installable and
runnable (actually it maybe already is!) in sans-dbus systems.

Pls. if anybody feels passionate enough about Unix heredity staying
sound and prosperous, and you feel you can contribute by helping in this
thread:

Whonix on Gentoo issues
https://forums.whonix.org/t/whonix-on-gentoo-issues/3188

then pls. do contribute!

There is a poor-eyesight old man that I am useless digression somewhere
in one of the first three posts (which I can't remove anymore, old posts
are not editable in Whonix forums), and also previous to below all
attempts of mine were unsuccessful, so...

So maybe if you start from:

https://forums.whonix.org/t/whonix-on-gentoo-issues/3188/7

[from] post 7, you will be sufficiently in the clear what the issue is.

And on a sidenote on this thread that you're reading. I probably need to
re-evaluate the current status of no-dbus virt-manager using virt-viewer
as GUI, with the last night update of Gentoo installtion of mine (always
such a pleasure).

Pls. contribute if you are familiar with Whonix and the issues there!

I've top posted this, because it regards the entire thread, not this
particular email below.

On 170114-22:53+0100, Miroslav Rovis wrote:
> More errata.
>
> On 170114-13:06+0100, Miroslav Rovis wrote:
> > If anybody is interested, I attach the install log:
> >
> > app-emulation_virt-viewer-5.0-r1_20170113-164725.log.gz
> > (that's from /var/log/portage, just I replaced the : with _)
> >
> > where it's easy to spot lines like:
> >
> > virt-viewer-app.h:47:5: error: unknown type name 'GtkApplicationClass'
> >
> > because the new API is missing in GTK2. And the package virt-viewer cannot
> > possibly compile.
> >
> you can read in the changelog of the source of virt-viewer-5.0, if you
> unpack the virt-viewer-5.0.tar.gz, these lines:
>
> /usr/portage/distfiles/virt-viewer-5.0.tar.gz
>
> virt-viewer-5.0/ChangeLog :
>
>       [...]
>
> 2016-02-15  Fabiano FidĂȘncio  <fiden...@redhat.com>
>
>       Drop support to gtk2
>       The 3.0 release was the last one that still supports GTK2. For the
>       Windows builds the support to GTK2 was dropped in the previous release.
>       Let's do the same for the entire project now.
>
> 2016-02-15  Pavel Grunt  <pgr...@redhat.com>
>
>       display: Use correct variable name
>       Fix gtk2 build
>
>       [...]