Johannes Rosenberger <gen...@jorsn.eu> writes:

>> Can anyone offer suggestions about this... is it even the right way to
>> proceed?
>>

> Hello!
>
> I have portage-2.3.3 installed and in my portage manpage it is mentioned:
>
> The file shall reside in etc/(make.profile|portage/(make.)?profile) and
> the syntax is

Thanks for that.  I'm not at all sure what that line means.

something like /etc/  (then either make a directory named `profile' or
one named `portage' if necessary) / (then make `profile' if
necessary.)

So, /etc/portage/profile/package.provided

I followed a newish dictum of using the package part as a directory
name. So /etc/portage/profle/package.provided/FnameAndContentHere
It worked... thanks again.

It worked.. still not getting everything installed but that
part worked...

Something else about this entry in `man portage':

[...]
SYNOPSIS
       /etc/portage/make.profile/ or /etc/make.profile/
              site-specific overrides go in /etc/portage/profile/
              deprecated
              [...]

So is the plan to do away with package.provided or just relocate it?