On 15/02/2017 15:14, Robin Atwood wrote:
> Having finally got a stable KDE5 system I did an emerge depclean and got
> 288 candidates! I am not sure which packages I need to keep and which
> can go. I assume any package like kde-apps/kxxx-4.14* can go unless you
> actually want it, but I am unclear about packages like
> kde-apps/plasma-apps-15.12.3 which are slotted as 4 but have upgrades to
> 16.08.3. Do I still need these?

For the most part, no.

Almost every kde4 package (libs, apps, plugins, and more) got updated
for KDE% and many were pkgmv'ed around to new categories. So 288 sounds
like the right ballpark from memory.

I found that the kde ebuild maintainers did a really good job with this,
and virtually every upgrade went smooth for me. The KDE4 apps I still
have (amarok, k3b, etc) have their DEPENDs correct so depclean tends to
be correct as is, including the plasma SLOTs.

If your world file is in good condition I recommend you let portage
clean what it wants to. In the unlikely evnt the devs missed something,
you can always emerge a missing package or two back.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com