Are the virtualbox-guest-additions on portage for folks who are
running VirtualBox vms on there gentoo OS?

Or are they for a Vbox vm where gentoo is being installed, and the
host is something else.

I ask, because I'm installing gentoo into a vm on a windows host.
I've done this quite a few times.

And the vbox pkg that gets installed on windows always has the
guest-additions supplied internally.

That is I've installed the virtualbox-guest-additions from the vbox
package installed on the win10 host.

Or is it expected that for gentoo, one is to install the
guest-additions thru portage (when the host is not gentoo)

Jesus, that sounds complicated.

All I'm trying to ask is if you are installing a vbox vm with gentoo
os in a non-gentoo host are you expected to install the
guest-additions thru portage.