On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 10:19:16PM +0000, Mick wrote

> Perhaps I do not understand ... why should the chrooted system need
> to use different flags?

See
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.9.4/gcc/i386-and-x86-64-Options.html#i386-and-x86-64-Options

  The desktop is "-march=ivybridge" and the netbook is "-march=bonnell".
Neither of them can run the other's "-march=native" code.  "ivybridge"
does not have MOVBE, while "bonnell" does not have SSE4.1, SSE4.2,
POPCNT, AVX, AES, PCLMUL, FSGSBASE, RDRND and F16C.  gcc will gladly
build for whatever Intel cpu you tell it to.  I can build "bonnell" code
on the "ivybridge".  But I can't run it on the "ivybridge" machine.

  As a compromise, I suppose I could declare the chroot "-march=core2".
"core2" is "bonnell" minus MOVBE, so both the netbook and the desktop
could run that code, with the netbook getting some, but not all, of the
possible optimization.

  I have a "hot backup" to my desktop, which has a "silvermont" cpu.
That's a newer Atom cpu, and it can run "bonnell" code, no problem.  But
the "ivybridge" machine is not that old, and I prefer to keep my
machines until they start dying.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>