On Tuesday 07 Mar 2017 12:25:50 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 07/03/2017 12:16, White, Phil wrote:
> > Hi Alan, Thanks for the reply.
> >
> > First attempt at install was using emerge. This installs version 1.17.1.
> > This didn't work, so I removed it, and installed version 2.00 from Git,
> > in an attempt to fix the problem.
> >
> > BOTH produce the same error - unable to find a kernel due to the naming
> > issue described previously.
> > So firstly I need to know whether Genkernel is incorrectly naming the
> > kernel, or whether Rear is looking for the wrong name.
>
> genkernel is free to call a kernel image by any name it feels like
> calling it. It's just a file and the only thing the bootloader cares
> about is if it can find it.
>
> Therefore rear is out of step, and rear needs to be patched

I also do not know how ReaR parses the path or name of the OS kernel.  If it
were using your /usr/src/linux/arch/ tree then it would not mind 'x86' in the
name of the kernel.  Either way, as a workaround you can try renaming the
kernel image in boot and see if that works - don't forget to update GRUB's
configuration after you do so.  If ReaR follows symlinks you could just create
a symlink instead of renaming the kernel.

If you do not want to experiment, then you could ask on the ReaR chat channel
and see what their devs suggest:

https://gitter.im/rear/rear

--
Regards,