On 8 March 2017 at 11:29, Stroller <strol...@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> Could you `grep -i gcc /var/lib/portage/world*` please?
>
> A copy of the whole world file(s) would be great, in fact, ideally as
> plain text attachments.

Hi Stroller,
Thanks, (and apologies for the delay).
World file was empty at the time of the previous post - I was still working
on fixing @system.
As mentioned, I was careless with copying over /var from a previous
install. The problem wasn't with the world file, but with the db/pkg lists.
emerge -e did not immediately fix it. However, with patience and a few
continuous fixes, I now have @system back - and am currently waiting for my
previous world packages to finish. Hopefully by tomorrow morning, I should
be able to complete a depclean without issue...

> Also, any chance you could set your mailer to send only plain text emails
> to the list?

I wish! Sorry - until I have a 'proper' system working again, I am stuck
with webmail... :(

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Phil