On March 14, 2017 6:05:17 PM GMT+01:00, Nikos Chantziaras <rea...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>On 03/14/2017 06:34 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>> Eek. That's not nice. You have masked frameworks-5.32.0 and
>plasma-5.9.3
>> packages (presumably you got all of them), and you missed something
>in
>> the huge chain that needs one or more of them.
>
>Oops, you are absolutely correct. In fact, what I didn't mask is
>=kde-frameworks/plasma-5.32.0-r1.
>
>And here's the funny part: I specifically only masked =*/*-5.32.0
>instead of ~*/*-5.32.0 so that I'll know when the bug gets potentially
>fixed; it would result in this exact kind of breakage I got, reminding
>me to try the update again.
>
>So I'll be trying the update again to see if the plasma revbumb is
>there
>to actually fix the desktop again. (The issue was that hovering over
>icons or other items would highlight them but they would stay
>highlighted forever even after the mouse moved somewhere else or even
>if
>you click somewhere else. So everything would be full of highlighted
>icons.)
>
>Moral of the story: more coffee before posting :-P

I have seen this happen on MS Windows machines. (Customer supplied ones)

I think it is related to some accessibility thing that accidentally gets
enabled.
(I simply reboot Windows as I prefer not to fight my way through a stupidly
locked down system)

Could be a similar cause with your KDE/Plasma issue?

--
Joost