On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 03:30:19AM +0100, Ralf wrote

> >   Since you're using PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_4 -python3_5", the "local"
> > option is to add the following line to package.use to apply to gedit only.
> Yep, i know, and then the next package complains. So why didn't this
> happen before? What changed?

  gedit's dependancies changed.

> Can't I just enable some default settings somewhere?

  You *DO* have "some default settings somewhere".  As you said to Dale

> It tells me:
> PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_4"

> I don't want to introduce dozens of local settings for packages,
> especially as everything used to work before.

  Sorry... you want/need several distinct packages.  Most of them
currently need python_single_target_python2_7, but gedit currently needs
python_single_target_python3_4.  Deal with it.

  That's what package.use is for.  In a binary distro, everything can
be synchronized to the same library dependancies.  In a "rolling distro"
like Gentoo, not every library/package is updated simultaneously.  One
package switches from python2_x to python3_x, and then another, and then
another.  Compare two options...

PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_4" in make.conf requires you to set X lines
"foo-bar/package python_single_target_python2_7" in package.use

PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7" in make.conf requires you to set Y lines
"foo-bar/package python_single_target_python3_4" in package.use

  Currently X > Y, so stick with 2_7 as the default for now.  Over time,
Y will increase, and X will decrease.  When Y > X, switch make.conf to
PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_4" and list the exceptions in package.use.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>