On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 4:25 AM, Ural <uralz...@autistici.org> wrote:
> Rich Freeman:
>> On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 11:12 PM,  <the...@sys-concept.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> So, instead of getting into trouble of making disk-less node I figure it
>>> out my Atom (small box) can access Main server via X2GO.  I tested it on my
>>> local network and speed wise it works OK.  Buy my computer is much faster
>>> than the Atom.  So after upgrade I'll see how it will run. All boxes have
>>> gigabit network cards.
>>>

>> While this would certainly work, you should also consider using a
>> windows technology like rdp/citrix to connect directly from the client
>> to the VM guest.  That might actually give you better performance.
>>
>> It is analogous to running a linux VM in a window and typing into its
>> console, vs running a linux VM headless and using ssh to connect to
>> it.  Ssh is probably going to give you a more integrated experience
>> and better performance, because you're not virtualizing a console with
>> minimal support for stuff like the clipboard/etc.
>>

> Try using Nomachine.com NX. It is fastest remote connection, but it is
> proprietary. There is open source client available for Linux

x2go is based on NX.  I doubt that NX + VM console window is faster
than Citrix for accessing a Windows machine.  NX was largely inspired
by Citrix.

Both approaches have their pros and cons.  NX is the right solution
for accessing a linux X11 server.  rdp/citrix is probably the right
solution for accessing a windows console.  So, the question is whether
you want to be accessing the VM console running on Linux, or directly
accessing the windows console running inside the VM.  I suspect that
the latter is going to be a bit cleaner when you consider things like
clipboard support and such.  But, if you want to be able to start/stop
the VM and such then obviously you can't do that from the windows
console.

--
Rich