Am Tue, 21 Mar 2017 23:14:16 +0200
schrieb Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com>:

> On 21/03/2017 22:25, Kai Krakow wrote:
>  [...]
> >> Good idea. For posterity so's I don;t forget:
> >>
> >> - gentoo home page
> >> - one or more readthedocs sites (especially docs.ansible.com)
> >> - 1 or more jira pages (work stuff)
> >> - 1 or more confluence pages (work stuff)
> >> - a local gitlab site
> >> - 1 or more python html apps for, errr, usenets stuffs
> >> - 1 or more python apps running in flask (work stuff)
> > I'm using Chrome with often more than 50 tabs open - without
> > performance problems. But I had to switch Chrome to simple HTTP
> > cache (chrome://flags/#enable-simple-cache-backend) to get that.
> > Some tabs take more than 1 GB of memory after a while. But only
> > those tab become sluggish, all others are unaffected. And I do not
> > block any scripts (just the usual performance killers like ads and
> > tracking scripts, done with Ghostery). I cannot believe that
> > Firefox is so much worse at this?
>
> Oh, I can believe it all right. Firefox is a bloated monster. The
> devs keep refactoring it to get rid of bloat, but it's a lot like
> emptying a lake with a teacup.
>
> same with bind, open|libreoffice, bash, gcc ...
>
> > If Chrome isn't a option for you, maybe try Vivaldi (it's based on
> > Chromium and said to be very fast, tho for me it starts much slower
> > than Chrome).
>
> Using Chrome isn't really a problem. I can use anything I feel like
> (no overlord here!. More correctly: the overlords that do exist are
> ineffectual when confronted with a determine sysadmin)
>
> The problem is that this 52 year old is tired of learning knew
> workflow and retraining muscle memory for reasons of just because.
> He's happy to learn python (useful), learn ansible (very useful) but
> not chrome as the everyday browser (meh)

Well, either arrange with the one or the other options. There's not
many more options... ;-)

Working in a environment where I'm a system deployer, level-1 and
level-2 supporter, network and sys admin, all in one person, I know how
difficult it is for a human to learn new stuff.

So one part of deployment is to keep things simple: Don't bloat the
browsers, as one example. Chrome can be very minimalist. Actually,
there not much visual difference between browsers today. I always unify
that by eliminating the visual differences: Remove the search bar from
firefox, rearrange some buttons, and it looks like almost any browser.
Unify the function differences by making the search function into the
URL bar (maybe with some addon). Well, but that's too late now. ;-)

So the other option is get rid of the stalls. First, try with an empty
profile and see if the problems persists, improves or gets worse.
Depending on that we could try finding the correct direction for next
steps.

Usually, it's either blocking on IO (an issue to be fixed in system
configuration), or it's blocking on CPU (an issue with plugins/addons
usually as the Firefox core should be designed to work mostly
non-blocking these days).

The following tools may become your friends: top and iotop.

--
Regards,
Kai

Replies to list-only preferred.