On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 2:11 PM, Harry Putnam <rea...@newsguy.com> wrote:
> I probably should know this, but off the top of my head I don't
> remember ever running into anything like this.
>
> I'd like to do what ever is done to set a used  disk back to the
> state it was in when new... Not sure what that state is, but at least
> no evidence of boot manager or fs having been installed.
>
> This if for something I'm doing on OS openindiana (a solaris offshoot)
> and the disks are for that OS.
>
> The solaris milieu is somewhat behind linux in development of tools at
> least in my opinion.  That is why I'm asking here.
>
> I am a gentoo user as well, but expect I may have to boot the solaris
> host with one or another linux boot ISO in order to have the tools
> required.

If you are not worried about securely removing all data and simply
want to fool fdisk into thinking your drive is empty, use the wipefs
utility. This will zero-out key bytes like the MBR, partition table,
filesystem magic numbers, etc.

You'll want to run it once for each partition, and then once for the
whole device.

wipefs -a /dev/sdx1
wipefs -a /dev/sdx2
wipefs -a /dev/sdx

If you ARE worried about securely removing data, see the other replies
in this thread for better options.